Dyeing has never been easier than with iDye from Jacquard! iDye comes in a dissolvable packet, so there are never any messy powders to handle: simply drop the packet into hot water or toss it in your washer! iDye is a hot water dye for any natural fabric that may be used on the stove-top or in the washing machine.The ultimate easy way to get gorgeous colour!Suitable for:
100% cotton, high% cotton mix, 100% linen, high% linen mix, poly-cotton mix, canvas, silk, rayon, viscose-natural fibre mix, hemp and more!
Natural fabric and poly blends (for example, poly/cotton) may dye to a lighter shade or for deeper colour use iDye with iDye Poly.
100% natural fabrics.
For 100% polyester & nylon use iDye Poly.
For polyester blends use iDye and the corresponding colour of iDye Poly.
One packet dyes 2 to 3 pounds (1 - 1.3 kg) of fabric. For cotton, linen and rayon add one cup (237 ml) of salt. For silk add a third of a cup (78 ml) of white vinegar instead of salt. For Polyester, Nylon and Poly/Cotton blends, dyeing on the stove top with 'iDye Poly' is easy too. For natural and synthetic blends, simply mix iDye with 'iDye Poly' and follow the stove top instructions provided on the packs!
- for 100% natural fabrics use iDye
- for 100% polyester & nylon use iDye Poly
- for polyester blends use iDye and the corresponding colour of iDye Poly
For best results:
- Read entire instructions before beginning
- Prewash garment to remove any sizings, softeners or finishes
- Use the stove top method for dark colours (black, brown or olive) or very intense colours (bright yellow, reds)
- Use the stove top method for iDye Poly and polyester blends
- Use constant agitation for uniform colour
Note: utensils and pot for dyeing should not be used for food.
Stove Top Method for Natural Fibres:
1. Fill a stainless steel or enamel pot with just enough warm water for the fabric to move freely. Turn heat on medium. Remove fabric from water.
2. Add the iDye soluble dye packet to water and stir until fully dissolved.
3. Add pre-wetted fabric and raise temperature to a simmer, just below boiling.
4. For cotton, linen and rayon dissolve one cup (237 ml) of salt in a little hot water and add to dye bath. For silk and wool add a third of a cup (78 ml) of white vinegar instead of salt. Avoid pouring directly onto fabric.
5. Maintain simmer and stir frequently for ½ hour.
6. Turn off heat and allow the dye bath to return to room temperature, stirring occasionally. Rinse when cool enough to handle. Wear gloves as residual dye can stain skin.
7. Wash the fabric with a mild detergent in cool water and dry.
Stove Top Method for Polyester and Nylon Blends with Natural Fibres:
1. Choose iDye Poly colour closest to the iDye for natural fabrics you are dyeing.
2. Fill a stainless steel or enamel pot with just enough water for the fabric to move freely. Turn on to high heat.
3. Add iDye Poly, iDye Colour Intensifier, and iDye to the water and stir until dissolved.
4. Add garments/fabric and bring to a boil.
5. Add 1 cup (237 ml) of fabric salt for cotton, linen and rayon or a third of a cup (78 ml) of white vinegar for silk. Avoid pouring directly onto fabric.
6. Maintain a rolling boil and stir frequently for ½ to 1 hour. For uniform colour use constant agitation.
7. Gradually cool the fabric and wash with a mild detergent and dry.
Front Loading Washing Machine Method:
1. Dissolve the iDye soluble dye packet in approximately two cups of very hot water.
2. For cotton, linen and rayon dissolve one cup salt in approximately one quart of very hot water.
3. If you are dyeing silk you will use 1/3 cup of vinegar instead of salt. Do not use the washing machine method for wool because it will felt.
4. Pour the dissolved iDye and dissolved salt or vinegar into the bottom of the washing machine tub.
5. Add pre-wetted fabric.
6. Set your machine for the hottest possible water temperature and longest possible wash cycle. If you are able to extend the wash cycle, do so. The longer you are able to allow the fabric to remain in the wash/dye cycle the darker the colour and the better the fixation.
7. When the machine has completed the wash cycle allow it to complete the balance of the wash/rinse/spin cycle.
8. Wash the garment with a mild detergent in cold water and dry.
Top Loading Washing Machine Method:
1. Fill washing machine with just enough very hot water for the fabric to move freely.
2. Add the iDye soluble dye packet. Agitate for 30 seconds longer until packet is dissolved.
3. For cotton, linen and rayon add one cup (237 ml) of salt. For silk add 1/3 cup (78 ml) of white vinegar instead of salt. Do not use the washing machine method for wool as it will felt.
4. Add pre-wetted fabric.
5. Extend the dyeing time by resetting the wash cycle before the rinse cycle begins. The longer the dyeing time, the darker the colour and better the fixation. We recommend 50 to 60 minutes of dyeing time.
6. Allow the cycle to complete.
7. Wash the garment with a mild detergent in cold water and dry.
For Cotton & Silk blends:
If you are doing a cotton and silk blend and don’t know whether to add the salt or the vinegar you have 3 options:
1. It’s not critical, as either the salt or the vinegar will work so just pick one.
2. Don’t add either, but use substantial heat in the dye bath (stovetop method).
3. Do two separate dyebaths, one with salt and one with vinegar. This will probably be best for darkest colours.
Note: We recommend a thorough cleaning of your washer after you have used it to dye fabric. Most front loading washers collect residual water in the front door gasket and will also hold water in the exterior tub. Wipe down the door gasket carefully and run a short cycle with a cup of bleach in the drum together with your normal detergent. (You may also want to refer to your Washing Machine Users Manual for any specific cleaning instructions.)
We start processing your order without delay and will normally send it to you by same day dispatch if ordered by 1pm. UK orders are usually received within 2-3 business days following dispatch. Mainland European and Southern Ireland orders are sent by International Standard mail and are generally received in under 7 days. Worldwide orders to other destinations outside the UK are normally sent by International Economy mail unless otherwise agreed.
You must inform us within seven working days of receipt if the goods are lost or damaged in transit so that we can make a prompt claim against the delivery company and correct the problem. It is the responsibility of the customer to provide the correct delivery address. Undelivered goods which are correctly addressed are assumed lost after 30 days following dispatch, at which time a full refund will be paid. Please quote your order number in all correspondence.
The Dye Shop, its employees, and carriers are not responsible for any additional loss or damage beyond the value of the ordered products of any kind sustained by any person as a result of purchasing its products.
Shipping & Handling
Shipping and Handling is Free on all Orders.
Your rights to return goods are protected under the EU Distance Selling Directive.
You are entitled to cancel your order and return the goods within 14 working days for a full refund, including the cost of delivery. Do this by contacting us by email or telephone and quoting the order number supplied to you. Your refund will be paid within 30 days. You are responsible for the cost and risk of loss or damage when returning the goods, so you should ensure that they are securely packaged and take out adequate postal insurance to cover their value. This cancellation policy does not affect your rights when we are at fault - for example, if goods are faulty.
Any goods returned should reach us in saleable condition.