DYLON Multi-Purpose Dye is perfect for dyeing larger quantities of material and each 500g tin contains sufficient dye to dye up to 25kg/55lb of dry weight fabric.
Multi-Purpose Dye is ideal for dyeing large home furnishing items like sofas and curtains. It is also used extensively for dyeing costumes and props for all types of theatrical productions.
Suitable Fabrics: 100% Cotton, High% Cotton Mix, Feathers, 100% Linen, High% Linen Mix, Nylon, Rayon, Silk, Wool, Spandex, Lycra® (elastane), Plastic, Wood, Hemp and Grass.
Not Suitable For:
Pure synthetics (except nylon), polyester/wool mixtures, or fabrics with special finishes.
Dylon Multi-Purpose Dyes are inter-mixable. They will not dye acrylic, leather, suede, acetate or polyester, but will dye the cotton portion of polyester/cotton blends as well as buttons (pearl and plastic).
Dylon Multi-Purpose Dye
- Suitable Fabrics: cotton, linen, viscose, wool, silk, nylon and Lycra® (elastane).
- Not Suitable for for pure synthetics (except nylon), polyester/wool mixtures, or fabrics with special finishes.
- Multi-Purpose Dye is not colourfast so garments should always be washed separately.
- 5g of powder is sufficient to dye up to 250g/8 oz dry weight fabric.
Instructions For Washing Machine Dyeing:
1. Weigh and wash the fabric and leave damp.
2. Wearing rubber gloves, add required amount of dye (refer to shade chart on tin for relevant quantities) to drum of washing machine (NOT soap dispenser).
3. Add 60g/2oz of salt for every 500g/lb of fabric being dyed, covering the dye powder.
4. Place damp unfolded fabric in the machine. Set and run the longest hottest wash cycle without pre-wash.
5. Remove the fabric from the machine and dry away from direct sunlight and heat.
6. Clean the machine immediately by running the longest hottest wash with one cup of bleach.
7. Wash articles dyed with Multi-Purpose dye separately.
Please Note:- For use with fully automatic front-loading machines only.
- Do NOT dye wool or silk in the washing machine.
- Do NOT dye less than 500g/lb of dry weight fabric or more than half the machine's maximum wash load.
- Do NOT use 'economy' or 'half load' programmes.
- Reseal the tin immediately after use.
Instructions For Dyeing By Hand:
You will need:
- 30g / 1oz of salt
- Rubber gloves
- A saucepan
1. Weigh dry fabric. Wash fabric thoroughly even if new and leave damp.
2. Fill saucepan or similar heatproof container with enough hot water to cover article and allow easy movement during dyeing.
3. Wearing rubber gloves, dissolve dye in 500ml/1 pint of boiling water, stir well.
4. Add solution to vessel with 30g/1oz salt, stirring well.
5. Put in clean, damp article and raise temperature to simmer, then stir constantly for 20 minutes to ensure even dyeing.
6. Rinse article until water runs clear. Results are not colourfast, so dyed garments should be turned inside out and washed separately.
7. Dry away from direct heat and sunlight.
Instructions For Stove Top Dyeing:
Instructions For Dyeing Wool:
Follow steps for 1 to 4 above.
5. Put in clean, damp, unfolded article. Bring slowly to a simmer and reduce heat at once. Stir gently for 10 minutes.
6. Remove article from dye and allow to cool before rinsing in lukewarm water, until water runs clear.
7. Dry away from direct heat and sunlight.
Instructions For Dyeing Plastic Buttons And Accessories:
Suitable for all plastics including Polyester.
1. Wearing gloves, dissolve 5g of dye in 500ml/1 pint of boiling water.
2. Add plastic components (upto 12g/4oz if ti can be submerged) in 500ml/1 pint of boiling water.
3. Dye for 10 minutes at the boil.
4. Rinse as per fabric.
Please Note:- The plastic components should be regularly checked for distortion during the dyeing process. The dyeing process should be stopped if the items begin to show signs of distortion.
We start processing your order without delay and will normally send it to you by same day dispatch if ordered by 1pm. UK orders are usually received within 2-3 business days following dispatch. Mainland European and Southern Ireland orders are sent by International Standard mail and are generally received in under 7 days. Worldwide orders to other destinations outside the UK are normally sent by International Economy mail unless otherwise agreed.
You must inform us within seven working days of receipt if the goods are lost or damaged in transit so that we can make a prompt claim against the delivery company and correct the problem. It is the responsibility of the customer to provide the correct delivery address. Undelivered goods which are correctly addressed are assumed lost after 30 days following dispatch, at which time a full refund will be paid. Please quote your order number in all correspondence.
The Dye Shop, its employees, and carriers are not responsible for any additional loss or damage beyond the value of the ordered products of any kind sustained by any person as a result of purchasing its products.
Shipping & Handling
Shipping and Handling is Free on all Orders.
Your rights to return goods are protected under the EU Distance Selling Directive.
You are entitled to cancel your order and return the goods within 14 working days for a full refund, including the cost of delivery. Do this by contacting us by email or telephone and quoting the order number supplied to you. Your refund will be paid within 30 days. You are responsible for the cost and risk of loss or damage when returning the goods, so you should ensure that they are securely packaged and take out adequate postal insurance to cover their value. This cancellation policy does not affect your rights when we are at fault - for example, if goods are faulty.
Any goods returned should reach us in saleable condition.